The Regroupement québécois de la danse brings together and represents individuals as well as professional organizations working in dance, with the objectives of contributing to the advancement and recognition of choreographic art and helping improve practice conditions in dance.
For almost 35 years, the RQD has developed the many facets of dance and has actively raised awareness of the conditions in which this demanding art is practised. Closely involved with the evolution of a discipline that has reached a turning point in its history, the RQD initiates and supports all projects promoting collective action and long-term initiatives, as the Master Plan for Professional Dance in Québec 2011-2021.
The RQD’s 2019-2023 Strategic Plan identifies seven major orientations:
– Strengthen consensus-building and a commitment to the RQD mission and values among members.
– Strengthen consensus-building and representation actions aimed at improving practice conditions.
– Promote and support inclusion and equity within the dance community.
– Stake out a position as a digital development leader.
– Consolidate the RQD’s role in professional development.
– Help foster the greater development of dance across Québec.
– Adopt the resources required to broaden the RQD’s scope of action.
- 1984: Incorporation of the Regroupement des professionnels de la danse du Québec (original name)
- 1986: Creation of the Agora de la danse
- 1989: Médias danse symposium
- 1991: Contribution to the creation of Diagramme
- 1994: Rebuilding of the Regroupement (which becomes the RQD) to receive dance organizations
- 1994: First États généraux de la danse presented
- 1994: Launch of a three-year dance development plan
- 1994: Creation of the Dancer Training Support Program
- 1995-2000: Event held to mark International Dance Day (five editions)
Consolidation period [1996-2002]
- 1997: Creation of La danse sur les routes du Québec at the RQD
- 1999: Contribution to the creation of the Conseil québécois des ressources humaines en culture
- 1999: Founding of the Mouvement pour les arts et les lettres
- 2001: Implementation of the professional development service
- 2001-2004: Coordination of a pan-Canadian study on the situation in regards to professional dance in Canada, La Danse en péril/Dance At Risk
- 2002: Creation of the website www.quebecdanse.org
- 2005-2010: Pas de danse, pas de vie! event held in conjunction with International Dance Day (five editions)
- 2005: Establishment of an RQD/CDA parity committee; tabling of a joint presentation to the Canada Council for the Arts and New Initiatives for Dance (2006); increase of more than $2 million in the dance budget (2008)
- 2006: Entry into force of the CSST/MCCCF agreement covering dancers in training not governed by a work contract
- 2006 and 2008: Pressure campaigns mounted in response to cuts by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs in public diplomacy and international touring
- 2005-2008: Grands Chantiers de la danse
- 2009: Presentation of the Seconds États généraux de la danse professionnelle du Québec
- 2009-2016: Creation of the Toile-mémoire de la danse au Québec [1895-2000] (four versions)
- 2009: Nomination of the RQD for the 25th Grand Prix du Conseil des arts de Montréal
Deployments [2011- ]
- 2011: Unveiling of the Master Plan for Professional Dance in Québec 2011-2021
- 2012: Transformation of the website into the Québec Danse portal
- 2012: New credits of $6 million over five years obtained from the CALQ for professional dance
- 2012-2016: Presentation of the Québec Danse event (five editions)
- 2013-2018: Heritage initiatives launched
- 2013-2016: Professional relations program (resumed in 2018-2019)
- 2014: Creation of the Prix Interprète presented by the RQD and the Caisse Desjardins de la Culture
- 2017: Mid-term report and update on the Master Plan for Professional Dance in Québec 2011-2021
- 2017: Participation in consultations held by the Ministère de la Culture on Québec’s cultural policy; mobilization to increase the CALQ’s budget; creation of the Coalition La culture, le cœur du Québec; historic increase in the provincial budget for culture (2018)
- 2019-2022: Integration of a Digital Cultural Development Agent into the team (three-year term)
- 2019: Publication of the commented glossary entitled Comprendre les enjeux de l’inclusion en danse (Understanding issues of inclusion in dance)
- 2019: Publication of Québec’s Dance Heritage: State of Affairs, Perspectives and Practical Advice
- 2019: Publication of the Trousse de prévention du harcèlement et autres violences (Prevention kit on harassment and other forms of violence), including the graphic story Dance doesn’t mean putting up with everything!
- 2020: Publication of the toolkit Favoriser l’inclusion et l’équité dans le milieu de la danse (Foster Inclusion and Equity in Dance Community Toolkit)
- 2020-2021: Mobilization to support dance professionals facing the COVID-19 crisis: advocacy efforts with the government, disciplinary and interdisciplinary consultation committees
- 2021: Publication of the toolkit Trousse sur les pratiques écoresponsables en danse (Sustainable Dance Practices Toolkit)